Saturn and Mercury go Retrograde 2013: let’s review and get you through!
Vedic Astrology: Jyotish With Paula Blog – Mar. 3/2013
Jyotish – The Science of Light – educates, inspires, enlightens.
(Please note that some of the information in this article is time sensitive to the retrograde motions of Saturn and Mercury in 2013.)
Saturn goes retrograde (Feb. 12- July 8, 2013)
Mercury goes retrograde: (Feb. 22 – Mar. 17; June 26 – July 20; Oct. 21 – Nov. 10, 2013)
- What is “retrograde” and why is it creating challenges at work and in business?
- Feeling blocked and snarly? New you, or a temporary phase?
- Jyotish With Paula’s Top 10 tips to Favor & Avoid: let’s review and get you through
Saturn and Mercury Go Retrograde
( Please note that some of the material in this article is time sensitive to the retrograde motions of Saturn and Mercury in 2013.)
As though things aren’t intense enough – with the Saturn/Rahu conjunction in Libra during 2013! But, we’ve looked logically at the planetary configurations together and found there may be some fantastic results this year, if we favor the right attitude and activities. (Blog post.)
Mid-February – July 8, 2013, Saturn (the planet of work, focus and discipline), and Mercury (Feb. 22 – Mar. 17) – the planet of communications, business and commerce – went retrograde. This isn’t a disaster – just a great opportunity to review where we’re going, what we want to accomplish and how we’re going to get there. Mercury will go retrograde two more times in 2013: June 26 – July 20, 2013, and again October 21 – November 10, 2013.)
What is retrograde?
Retrograde planets aren’t actually going backward – they just seem that way from our particular vantage point on earth. The term retrograde is from the Latin word retrogradus – “backward-step” and the term is most commonly used to describe the path of a planet as it travels through the night sky, with respect to the stars, and the celestial sky.
What this means from the Vedic Astrology perspective, is that we feel the planetary effects quite powerfully when they’re in their retrograde motion as they push us to review and go over details we may have forgotten along the way.
With Saturn and Mercury retrograde – things can feel a little backwards, or challenging – in the domains of life they control. That is, unless we go with the flow, and learn the lessons that these planetary configurations are revealing to us.
The ticket with any planetary configuration – good or challenging, is to work with the energy available. When planets go retrograde, it’s really not a big deal – it’s just not a time to move forward. With Saturn retrograde in Libra, it’s a perfect time to dive in, re-organize the closet of your life – clear out any skeletons – and bring order, integrity, and focus, (particularly as it regards partnerships, relationships and business) to the forefront your life. Whenever Mercury goes retrograde, it’s a great time to review any contracts, communications, and business dealings before we sign anything or make important decisions.
Let’s first review Saturn, then Mercury, to see what is best to do
Saturn goes retrograde from Feb. 12- July 8, 2013
During Saturn’s retrograde – which lasts 5 months – be ready to do a slow, steady dance, with an infinitely meticulous partner – who will firmly step on your toes, or stand on your feet, if you don’t follow his powerful lead.
Saturn’s lessons are always about patience, endurance and the big picture over the long haul in the sign he’s transiting. When retrograde in Libra (sign 7), it’s about being patient, kind and persevering with our partner(s) and others; reviewing our behaviour to make sure we are acting in the most ethical way, personally, and in the business sphere; and flexing our spiritual muscles, including strength of character – especially when things don’t seem to be going our way.
When exalted Saturn in Libra is going forward, it acts like an iron fist in a velvet glove; firm, but civilized – effecting change in a diplomatic way. When exalted Saturn goes retrograde, as it is between February and July, contrary effects can be felt. With Saturn, it is all about control and discipline. When retrograde in Libra, the velvet gloves come off and Saturn can begin to act like a big iron hammer – trying to control every situation. When force doesn’t work, the tendency is to give up, throw in the towel and stew – doing nothing and feeling resentful about being blocked. Neither behavior offers a workable solution.
If you’re feeling blocked, instead of hammering away, or giving up on your goals, approach people and situations with more flexibility. Have a willingness to listen, adapt, and meet half way. If you simply can’t move ahead at this time in your business or personal relationships, this is a good time to pause and think more deeply about what you hope to create in the long-term. Investigate options a little more – knowing that you’re being given the time to think and choose wisely. Don’t feel rushed.
In Saturn’s retrograde motion, he’s encouraging us to be like savvy globe trotters and pack lightly. This is a great time to get rid of any excess baggage before he moves forward to join hands with revolutionary Rahu this fall. Intense times are coming from the planetary perspective. That doesn’t mean it has to be a painful or difficult time. We just have to work with the energy, and gain maximum from it. Use the Saturn Retrograde time wisely to discharge your debts, distinguish between flighty desires and real needs, and reflect on what, and with whom you wish to move forward.
When Saturn finally moves forward on July 8th, 2013, you’ll have a whole new, hopefully wiser perspective. Things will be clearer. In the meantime, now’s the time to think things through – so do a full review.
Saturn Retrograde – Feb. 12 – July 8, 2013
- anything remotely improper in the business, partnership or relationship sphere
- legal battles – things can get ugly or aggressive
- laziness in responsibilities and duties
- cruelty or malice to others
- putting off exercise routines
- thoughtless decisions – thinking”nobody will mind”
- stealing or non-return of borrowed items
- treating old people badly
- mis-directing your strength
- abusing power
- responsibility, dharma and dutifulness
- returning items you may have “borrowed”
- reimbursing loans – good time to get out of debt
- resisting bad behavior and cruelty – favor kindness and compassion instead
- re-inventing your approach to others – be more patient and tolerant
- respecting your elders and the wise guides in your life
- re-using, recycling – great time to simplify
- reinstating a good routine, diet and exercise – get a little stronger each day
- re-visiting your spiritual roots – excellent time to transcend and reflect
- restoring your faith in humanity – starting with you
Mercury went into its “reverse gear” on Feb. 22, 2013 and doesn’t go forward until March 17th – St. Patrick’s Day. Mercury also retrogrades June 26 – July 20th, and again October 21 – November 10, 2013.)
Anytime Mercury goes retrograde, it’s better to sit back a little, review your work, pour over your plans, double-check your legal contracts, and get all the fine details in order. This is the time to repair your electronics – not buy new ones. You may have to spend time getting computers and cell phones working properly. You can fidget and worry, or accept that there are going to be glitches and work with them, until Mercury retrograde concludes. When Mercury goes forward, you’ll be ready to sign your book contract and legal documents, buy new electronics (should you find you need them), open your Broadway Play, and do business with panache.
Mercury Retrograde in 2013:
Feb. 22 – Mar. 17th; June 26 – July 20th; Oct. 21 – Nov. 10, 2013
- Signing important contracts – you may wonder why you signed such an agreement later
- Starting up any new writing or publishing projects
- Important analytical or mathematical calculations – double or triple check your figures
- Starting a new business, job, or trade activity
- Buying a new computer because of glitches or bugs
- Starting a dance or dramatic career feeling that “now” is the time to make it or break it
- Buying any new electronic gadgets – you may have to return them
- Shooting the messenger – he or she is just delivering the news
- Misunderstandings in communications – there can be plenty of them
- Over analyzing
- Reviewing and editing written materials
- Researching data
- Repeating a math exam
- Reviewing your income tax calculations
- Restoring a hard drive
- Re-hashing discussions of merit
- Re-connecting with existing clients or contacts
- Rehearsing your dance steps or Broadway Play
- Returning all the new gadgets you bought last time Mercury went retrograde!
And most importantly – apply a little levity to these challenges…
- Remember that Mercury is the planet of good humor!
Copyright: 2013 – Jyotish With Paula Blog – All Rights Reserved
Coming Soon! Buy the charming and informative E-book copy of Mercury Retrograde – a Jyotish is Fun! E-book by Paula
Includes extra insights about what to do when Mercury Goes Retrograde
- what to favor
- what to avoid
- how to get through in the most delightful way!
Comments on Saturn and Mercury go retrograde 2013: let’s review to get you through – are warmly welcomed!
Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens…Khalil Gibran